Android version of HashKaro.com served via AtHashPal.com
Login or Join
IndiaNEWS

: Meghalaya Man Earns Lakhs With Aloe Vera, Builds Roads Toilets For his Village #IndiaNEWS #India It is never the fortunate incidents that define a person’s life, but the unfortunate ones that bring

@IndiaNEWS

Posted in: #India #IndiaNEWS

Meghalaya Man Earns Lakhs With Aloe Vera, Builds Roads Toilets For his Village #IndiaNEWS #India
It is never the fortunate incidents that define a person’s life, but the unfortunate ones that bring about a change. So, every time my life took a wrong turn, it pushed me to work harder and make it right,??? says 49-year-old Layland Marak from Ganolgre village, West Garo Hills, Meghalaya.
A farming enthusiast, an entrepreneur, community leader, teacher and father, this man has played many roles in his life; but the one of a student is the most precious among them.
“I was not born in a rich family. My parents were poor farmers supporting seven kids including me. Things were already difficult, but it got worse after they both passed away in an accident. From then on life was always a tough lesson that I had to master, so education was the only way out,??? he says.
Layland not only went on to become one of the first entrepreneurs of a social enterprise, but also helped his entire community under the Rongram Community and Rural Development (C&RD) Block to earn a better livelihood than the environmentally devastating practices of farming like shifting cultivation, rampant in the region.
With the aid of a Self Help Group (SHG) called Chizingjang, he set up a unique business of the processing and sale of aloe vera products in 2008, which not only helped some villagers find alternative and more lucrative employment, but also contributed to the infrastructural development of the village.
Perseverance is the key
After the accident of his parents, Layland moved to Williamnagar to live with some relatives, while his siblings went elsewhere to whichever relative offered to foster them. As a way of battling his circumstances, he immersed himself into educational pursuits and excelled at school. After completing his board exams with flying colours, he enrolled in college for a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree.
Things were looking up for him until another crisis struck. Just before his second year final examinations, he was hospitalised for an eye disease and underwent a surgery owing to which he missed an entire year. Not willing to give up yet, he tried again next year, but his eyesight only deteriorated and eventually he discontinued his higher studies.
Without a college degree, the opportunity of getting a proper job had become slim but he continued to persevere and eventually secured a position of an assistant teacher at Jengjal Primary School, West Garo Hills in 1995.
“My first job as a teacher was quite fulfilling as I could help so many kids learn and dream big,??? says Layland who supported the education of two of his sisters for almost five years, until they finally found employment. But after getting married in 2000, his ambition grew from being a teacher to a grassroots changemaker, and that’s when he decided to serve his community.

Stock Market NEWS Best intraday tips Intraday Stocks below 100

10% popularity Share & Forward! Do Not Share

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

Login to follow topic

More posts by @IndiaNEWS

learn stock market

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

Back to top | Use Dark Theme